Posts Tagged ‘Distress Oxide’

Tuesday with Tara {take 214} Coffee Understands

Tuesday, August 20th, 2019

Happy Tuesday! Today I’ve got two simple but fun cards featuring the ‘Coffee Understands‘ stamp set by Picket Fence, a rainbow of Distress Oxide Inks & two different stencil techniques. Picket Fence is a new company in the SNS store this year, and I’ve been loving what I’ve played with so far!

For my first card, I started with this fun, scribbly ‘Thoughts’ stencil by Crafters Workshop. I’d been playing around with some glitter texture paste and had a bit left on my spatula, so I decided to add some glossy transparent texture paste to it and swipe it through this stencil onto white cardstock. There’s just a hint of blue glitter amidst the clear, shiny texture it left…

I selected a rainbow of Distress Oxide Inks and blended the colors over the texture paste, going back over the colors a couple of times to get a nice smooth blend and a pretty mix of colors. I decided on a MFT stitched circle die to fit one of the sentiment stamps from the Coffee Understands set, and chose to cut out a window from my background rather than layering it on top. Once I cut my window, I positioned the frame I created on a white card base and stamped through it in black ink. I colored the large mug from the set with Watercolor pencils, then applied some Nuvo Glitter Drops over the entire mug to kick up the glitter factor on this card!

After wrapping black ribbon around the rainbow panel, I mounted it onto the white card base with foam tape to give a bit of dimension.

I had a colorful circle die cut left over… so I decided to make another card! I used the two smaller coffee cups from this stamp set as my images on that circle.

This time I decided to ink up a rainbow through a striped stencil I have by Tim Holtz. I used the same rainbow of Distress Oxide Inks as I used on the previous card. I kept the stencil in line by adhering it to both the card (the bottom half which I planned to cover with a white panel of cardstock) and my work surface. It was very easy to repeat the pattern to go across the entire card front, since these stripes have random spacing between them.

I added a white stitched panel, edged in black (both of which were die cut with a MFT stitched edge die) to the bottom of the card. The small ‘good to the last drop’ sentiment from this set is stamped on it.

Here’s a look at my two rainbow cards featuring the Coffee Understands stamp set by Picket Fence. It’s such a great set and I can finally say I’ve used every stamp on it!

Inky hugs,


Tuesday with Tara {take 208}

Tuesday, July 9th, 2019

Happy Tuesday!

I hope you enjoyed our Turnabout Blog Hop over the weekend- and if you haven’t checked it out yet, there is still time to hop along and leave some comments for a chance to win a $50 gift certificate to the online store!

Today I’m sharing another simple card that uses the ‘Hello Sunshine’ Turnabout again, along with the same four colors of Distress Oxide Ink that I used on my card for the hop: Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Squeezed Lemonade & Wild Honey, along with a spritz of Distress Oxide Spray in Spiced Marmalade, but this time I stamped it on a kraft card base. The effect of the yellow & orange inks on kraft is a lot more subtle, but I had something different in mind for this one… I pictured the burst design as the flash from this adorable little camera image by Picket Fence Studios!

I fell in love with this “Capture Life in Color” stamp when I saw it, though I didn’t really know what I would do with it… except to make it colorful! I love pairing bright colors with kraft so I decided to give it a go. I stamped the image twice, once on white cardstock and once directly on the kraft base. I knew I would be fussy cutting the image, but thought the words would look best as part of the base rather than having a white outline around them.

After that, I did some very simple coloring with watercolor pencils (these ones by Nuvo have a nice mix of bright colors!), fussy cut my image and adhered it with 3D Foam Squares before adding some touches of glitter with Nuvo Glitter Drops in Honey Gold & Aquatic Mist. (always apply the wet stuff last! LOL). Once it sat for a bit, I decided to add some tiny pieces of washi tape and some heart bling to balance everything and add that extra touch of texture…

This card is super simple, but I think the colors and the message really POP! Hope it makes you smile, it’s a fun use for this Turnabout stamp design.

Inky hugs,


Tuesday with Tara {take 207}

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019

Happy Tuesday! I hope you enjoyed your Canada Day holiday and summer 2019 is off to a fabulous start! I found a few minutes to make some quick cards with the adorable mini ‘stuck on you’ stamp set by Flora & Fauna. Hope you like how they came together!

I applied Distress Oxide ink (Twisted Citron & Cracked Pistachio) with an ink blending tool through Dina Wakley’s Big Squovals stencil as a background for both of my cards- it gives a bold focal point and just happens to be the perfect size for these mini images. As both my cards are on colored cardstock, Distress Oxide is the perfect, opaque medium for ink blending. After my backgrounds were inked, I simply stamped the images in Versafine Clair Nocturne Ink.

For this first card, I went a bit punny, adding a die cut sentiment that says ‘aloe’ 🙂 The whimsical lettering style from Tim Holtz’s alphanumeric cutout dies seems to suit these images really well!

For the second card, I used a simple ‘miss you’ die cut sentiment by MFT, combined with the ‘stuck on you’ from this set. Both cards are simple, fun designs that came together quickly. Gotta love that! I think I’ll have some fun with this little stamp set 🙂

Inky hugs,