Posts Tagged ‘Penny Black dies’

A Few Little Birdies …

Monday, July 5th, 2021

Kia here with you today to share my card for our Random Act of Cardness event. It is day 5, which is “Flight”.

And we have “take off” with the birds I used from Dina Wakley Media.  I have used birds from two sets, both by Dina Wakley, being Scribbly Birds, and Scribbly Birds on Branches. For my background I wanted something unusual so opted for a bit of Mixed Media, using Distress Oxide Sprays, and Distress Inks.

First I die cut a piece of Fabriano hot press watercolour paper and using the distress oxide sprays I sprayed my card front. I do this kind of thing in a box that I keep, changing out the papers when necessary. Once the spray ink was dry I put my card back in the box and covered it with my stencil to spray with the Resist spray. The nozzle was clogged so I took off the nozzle so I could clear it, and this is when the excitement started.

My bird CC flew down from her cage where she had been watching me and headed for the box, and me in my panic moved the box – yup the resist spray was inside with the lid off. It of course when all over my card background, and the stencil. I knew I had to act fast so in the waiting water went the stencil, and on my desk went the background where I poured Rose Quartz embossing powder over the area that was full of the resist spray, shaking off the excess.

Once the embossing powder was on the card I could relax a bit and clean up my mess, which I did. Coming back to my card I heat embossed the rose quartz embossing powder. Putting the washed and dried stencil back in place, I added distress ink colours to places around the card.

To add more textures I sprayed the card front with a mixture of Sunflower Perfect Pearls and water. This left water marks and a covering of the perfect pearls. I squealed with delight, it is so darn pretty, I wish you could really see it.

I then stamped the birds, also on Fabriano hot press paper using Ranger Jet Black ink, then painted the birds using the distress inks.  I then die cut the berry branch, and put down some gathered twig distress ink, spritzed with water and dragged the branch through the ink, then added in the Candied Apple on some of the berries using my distress marker.

By this time my background was dry so I attached it to my card base. I then styled the birds and the berry branch, which I also cut in two.  I arranged the birds using the die cut branches for two of the birds, as the Cardinal had his own branch.

To finish I stamped the sentiment, cutting it in half and attached it to the card front, over the “Spill” zone! I then attached a few red pearls around the card.

Clearly, there was much excitement around this card, but it all worked out and CC did survive the flight. I hope you have enjoyed this card today. Following are Affiliate links to the store for the products I have used today, at no extra cost to you.

 

The Mask

Monday, May 10th, 2021

It is Day 10 for Random Act of Cardness Day and I (Kia) am here to talk backgrounds. On this card I decided to use a lighter background, where I would normally make it darker, especially given I am using texture paste. But not today.

Today we have Speckled Egg Distress Oxide ink with Distress Texture paste in Matte put through a handmade stencil. You know those postcard size pieces of mail you will get from companies advertising which have a plastic like finish. That is what I used to cut my Penny Black Geometric die. The paste slides right off when you apply it, going where I want it to go.

Once finished with the paste I set the card aside to dry. I then stamped the sentiment using VersaFine Clair ink in Warm Breeze on Vellum paper and heat embossed using clear embossing powder.

Next up I die cut the masks using Neenah cardstock and coloured with Copic markers, using BG32 and BG09. On the larger mask I used both colours and on the small mask the BG32.

I then styled the masks and attached foam squares to the back of both.

To finish up I secured the vellum piece using vellum tape, which does not show through the vellum. I then attached the Masks and added a splattering of sequins.

A bit of a change for me, but I am pleased with the results. I hope you enjoy this card as well.

Following are Affiliate links to the store and the products that I used for this card, at no extra cost to you.

Chill

Monday, January 11th, 2021

It is Day 11 for the Random Act of Cardness and the keyword for today is Chill with the key person being me, Kia.

There is a lot of chill in this card, most especially the look on that little Foxes face. Too cute!

I decided I would create a little scene today using Penny Black’s Winterfield Friends stamp set. I die cut a piece of Hammermill cardstock as I love how Copics blend on this paper. I then stamped the little trees and the fox in place using Memento Ink in Tuxedo Black.

To make some snow ridges I used a piece of torn paper, adding them in using Ranger Distress Oxide ink in Speckled Egg. I then die cut the Winter Greens and coloured with Copic Markers G43, YG63 and YG67 along with R27 on the berries.

For the little trees I used the same colours as above. The Fox is done using Copic Markers E31, E35, W2 and N4. When I searched for reference images the tail was very dark on the Grey Fox, which is what I was going for on this card. Even though he is the Grey Fox, there is still a lot of brown in his coat. For his scarf I used R27 and G14.

The splattering I did using Bleed Proof watercolour by Dr. Ph. Martin’s and a small brush for small splatters. The bigger the brush, the bigger the splatters.

I had a relaxing time making this card today, which is what it is all about. I hope you have enjoyed the process and wish to thank you for your visit.

See you next time, Kia.